How often do you find yourself battling with procrastination? It is a frustrating tendency that ultimately results in longer working hours, prevents business growth and can limit long-term success if it occurs too often.
So, what is the answer? Yes, being self-disciplined is a huge factor but, there are other things that can help you out along the way. It goes without saying that what works for one person may not work for another but, here are some of the techniques I employ to keep me focused!
1. Pomodoro Apps – these are great little apps that you can download onto your phone. Originally, they were designed to increase productivity; using a timer they allocate a certain amount of time for work and then a certain amount of time for a break. The app I use is called ‘Clockwork Tomato,’ it gives me 25 minutes of work time and then a five-minute break and so on. I find that not only does this keep me focused and increase my productivity but, it also gives my eyes a break from the screen.
2. App lockers – these great little apps are perfect for phone or social media addicts. It is so tempting to ‘just check your notifications’ and then spend 15 minutes reading down your news feed! We have all done it! These apps apply a lock to time-consuming apps preventing you from accessing them for a certain amount of time (chosen by you). It removes the temptation for you!
– If you don’t like the idea of locking your apps, you could just turn off your notifications – the temptation is so much greater to look at your phone when it pings!
3. Work out why you are procrastinating – is there a reason? I found myself procrastinating over a blog not so long back. The reason? I wasn’t sure how to get started! Once, I had overcome that little hurdle; the rest was done in a flash. Don’t let fear be the reason you put things off.
4. Make a list and prioritise your tasks. It is rewarding to tick something off of a list when you have completed the task. It will also inspire you to do something you don’t enjoy so much if you have something you do enjoy further down the list.
5. Before you start the work you have been putting off, get yourself comfortable – get a drink, sort out a snack and go to the loo! That way you will have no excuse to get up once you begin!
6. Reward yourself for completing the work, have a break, go for a walk, eat or drink something nice.
Make a note of whatever works for you and use this technique in the future when you find yourself procrastinating over something else. Don’t let procrastination get in the way of your success!